If you have a Kindle
How to Read Google eBooks on Your Kindle Fire
If you have a Kindle Fire, not to worry -- we've discovered that you can run the IndieBound Reader app (http://www.indiebound.org/reader ) on the Kindle Fire through a process called sideloading. Sideloading refers to the practice of installing apps without going through the official app store on a device.
Here's how to do it:
- In your Fire, click on the Settings icon, the gear-looking symbol in the top-right corner, then click on More… in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to Device and tap it to open those options.
- Near the bottom, you’ll find “Allow Installation of Applications.” Change that from OFF to ON. You’ll get a warning that says that installing apps from unknown sources can be dangerous for your security. Tap that you accept that. (You should always be careful about what you install and install only apps that you trust, like the IndieBound Reader app.)
- Tap the Home icon in the bottom-left corner, then Web in the menu at the top.
- In the URL field, type: www.indiebound.org/reader .
- Tap the “Download IndieBound Reader for Android” button near the bottom of the web page. It will look like nothing has happened, but tap the Menu icon at the bottom (the only that looks like a page) then tap Downloads.
- In the Downloads menu, you should find IBReader-1.1.apk. If it’s not there, tap the back button to go back to the IndieBound web page and hit the download button again.
- In Downloads, tap the IBReader-1.1.apk file and a menu will appear asking if you would like to Install or Cancel. Tap Install.
- That’s it! Now you can go back to Home and you’ll see the IndieBound Reader icon, a big white i in a red square. It’s also accessible in your Apps menu. Tap the IndieBound Reader icon and follow the instructions.
And now, to buy an eBook:
- Upon launching the app, the welcome screen will prompt you to choose your indie bookstore. You can search for "Snowbound Books" "Marquette." Once you've selected Snowbound Books as your preferred bookstore, the Indiebound App will default to buying and reading eBooks from our website.
- You'll be prompted to log-in with your Google account. You will then be directed to octaviabooks.com. There you can search, browse, and buy eBooks as usual. Search by title or author, add books to your cart, and checkout. Your eBooks will automatically be saved to your IndieBound Library.