The Secret Galaxy (Tilbury House Nature Book) (Paperback)
A lyrical narrative voice (the voice of the Milky Way galaxy itself) is augmented by sidebars filled with amazing facts and insights about our galaxy, and by extension, our universe.
- Inspired by Tilbury House’s award-winning, Kirkus-starred book The Secret Pool (2013).
- A lyrical narrative voice (the voice of the Milky Way galaxy itself) is augmented by sidebars filled with amazing facts and insights about our galaxy, and by extension, our universe.
- Features Mike Taylor’s extraordinary night sky photography and breathtaking NASA images of the births and deaths of stars and galaxies.
- Combines a read-aloud bedtime story with accessible, scientifically accurate sidebar features.
- The perfect book for a budding stargazer or astronomer.
The Tilbury House Nature Book series brings the natural world to life for young readers. Each book aims for the highest standards of scientific accuracy and storytelling magic.
About the Author
Fran Hodgkins is the author of How People Learned to Fly (HarperCollins, 2007), Andre the Famous Harbor Seal (Down East, 2003), Orphan Seal (ASPCA Henry Bergh Children’s Book Award), and If You Were My Baby (Moonbeam gold award).
Mike Taylor’s astrophotography has been featured on The Weather Channel, NBC News, Viral Nova, Discovery.com, Yahoo! News, Space.com, Earthsky.org, Spaceweather.com, and NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day.
The Secret Galaxy features breathtaking photographs and art paired with thought-provoking narrative that demonstrates how we are all connected to the stars.
— Explore the universe through the New Westminster Public Library
This book has a
gravitational force all its own—capturing readers with mesmerizing starry
images and captivating poems—pulling us in on page one and keeping us hooked
— Catherine Thimmesh, author of the Sibert-winning Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
This is a charming and
appealing book, presenting good scientific information in a lively and
entertaining way. It will inspire even young children to appreciate the beauty
and majesty of our incredible universe.
— Ellen Jackson, author, The Mysterious Universe