Moon Michigan: Lakeside Getaways, Scenic Drives, Outdoor Recreation (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
- Strategic, flexible itineraries for 3-to-4-day trips to Mackinac Island, the Upper Peninsula, wine country, Detroit, and Ann Arbor
- Unique experiences and can't-miss sights: Get your fill of vintage vehicles at Detroit's industrial museums, like the GM Showroom or the historic Ford House, or immerse yourself in the sounds of the Motown Museum. Watch hundreds of technicolor butterflies in the Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House, nibble on rich fudge, and unwind on a romantic carriage ride around the island. Browse the art galleries of Ann Arbor, sip chardonnay on a scenic tour of wine country, or explore Michigan's booming craft beer scene along an ale trail
- The best outdoor activities: Embark on Michigan's best hikes, from family-friendly day treks to rugged dune-scaling adventures. Hit the links at the top golf resorts, cruise along the Pictured Rocks, or relax on a serene, sunny beach. Spend a day fishing and boating and spot moose, elk, and black bears in their natural habitats. Set up camp under a crystal-clear summer sky or cross-country ski through pristine winter snow
- Expert advice from Detroit local Paul Vachon on when to go, how to get around, and where to stay, from campsites and motels to golf resorts and lakeside lodges
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough information on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and history
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Paul began his writing career in 2008 and covers topics as diverse as travel, Detroit history, business, education, and green living. He is the author of three books on Detroit-area history: Forgotten Detroit, South Oakland County, and Legendary Locals of Detroit.
Paul lives with his wife, Sheryl, and their son, Evan, in Oak Park, a suburb of Detroit. You can learn more about Paul by visiting his website, paulvachonwrites.com.
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times